What Are the Conditions of Wiping over Socks?
Wiping over Socks or Shoes
I have performed ablution (wudu) while I was wearing my socks. Should I have to take them off when making wudu’?
In the name of Allah, we praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright.
Mash is the act of wiping the feet with wet hands instead of pouring water all over them.
The conditions of wiping over socks:
– One must be in a state of purity before wearing them.
It was narrated that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “Leave them, for indeed my feet were in a state of purity when I wore them.” (Agreed Upon)
– They must be pure and clean.
It was narrated that the Prophet (peace be upon him) prayed with his Companions one day in shoes, and during the prayer he removed them. Then afterwards he informed his Companions that this was because Jibril had informed him that they had filth or dirt on them.
– Wiping over them in a state of minor impurity, not when one is in a state of major impurity
The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) ordered us not to remove our socks for three days and nights when we were on a journey except if we were junub, but not from excretion, urination or sleep.” (Ahmad)
– Observing the period of wiping, that is a day and a night for one who is resident, and three days and nights for the one on a journey
The Prophet (peace be upon him) fixed the period of Mash (wiping) over the leather socks (Khifaf – plural of Khuff) for three days and nights for a traveler and one day and a night for the resident person in a town (Muslim)
– They must cover the part of the foot that is wajib to wipe over
Watch this interesting talk with Sheikh Assem Al Hakeem to know more about wiping over socks.
Source: Huda Youtube Channel.Soucre Link